People who experience anxiety attacks need something to bring their life to normal and they are left with very few options. The first visits a doctor and plan to try on the relaxation procedures and undergo other behavioral therapies to get rid of anxiety. At times, it might not even be episodes of anxiety, but the workplace could contribute to various levels of stress that might leave a person starving for a solution. As daily life gets disrupted in many uncontrollable ways, people search for medications that could give them the much-needed relief from anxiety and panic attacks, along with a sense of calmness and relaxation. One such drug that is popular around the world for anxiety conditions is Ativan.
- Ativan or Lorazepam is a prescription-only medication that can be purchased online or at traditional stores with the prescription obtained from a qualified doctor. It is usually prescribed for short term treatment of anxiety, stress, and related conditions. The course of treatment might range from a few days to weeks or a few months.
- But the medication is not recommended for use for more than four months. The advantages of using this medication are that it offers mental calmness and relief from anxiety attacks through the suppression of CNS and neurons.
So what could be considered abuse when it comes to Ativan?
It is definitely the use of this medication in exceeding quantities as compared to the prescribed doses. Generally, the dosage prescribed for Ativan is gradually increased by the user with time to experience similar effects as that of the ones experienced in the beginning. This shows that the user has developed a tolerance to the medication.
Also, the combination of alcohol or other anti-depressants, it can produce serious effects on the user. It is also considered Ativan abuse when a person crushes the medication and snorts it or injects it through an injection.
- Ativan dependence is likely to happen when people use the drug for a significant period of time. Its effect would push these people to an extent where they might need more of the medication for regular effects.
- Also, the elderly are usually at risk in these conditions. Hence, it is advised that people who become addicted to the drug should give it out to a friend so that it can be preserved from abuse.
- People who have developed tolerance towards it can usually crave the medication more when they are under the medicinal effect. Hence, it is recommended that they lock their medication in a safe lock that can be opened only with a code.
People under the influence of this drug can sometimes even harm other people by indulging in hazardous activities or driving vehicles. Driving under the influence of it can be very dangerous than a drunk person. To avoid all these above-mentioned instances, management of Lorazepam addiction is very much necessary. Ativan dependence needs to be handled like cases of drug addiction so that the situation doesn’t turn out to be very dangerous for the public.
Many adults are suffering from Ativan addiction. It may take time to realize that you might have addicted to it. Addiction to Ativan will be developed over time and can get on you easily.
According to the survey by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) in 2015:
- 446,000 people aged 12 or older had currently abused sedatives in the month prior to the survey.
- 0.3% of the population was characterized as having a tranquilizer addiction in 2015.